Tsachi Idan, Ohad Yahalomi, Itzik Elgarat & Shlomo Mansour: Hamas returns 4 hostage bodies overnight
Yahalomi, Idan & Elgarat were murdered in captivity; Mansour during Oct. 7 massacre
The bodies of four Israeli hostages killed during their captivity by Hamas in the Gaza Strip, were returned to Israel via Egypt overnight, the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) announced.
"The coffins were, with Egyptian mediation, handed over to an IDF force at the Kerem Shalom Crossing. The initial identification process on Israeli territory has begun," the statement said.
Later Thursday morning, the families of Tsachi Idan, Ohad Yahalomi, Itzik Elgarat, and Shlomo Mansour confirmed that their bodies had been identified.
In another statement, the PMO said that according to Israeli estimates, "Ohad Yahalomi, Tsachi Idan and Itzik Elgarat were murdered while held hostage in Gaza. Shlomo Mansour was murdered in the 7 October 2023 massacre and his body had been held in the Gaza Strip."
With their confirmed return, the first phase of the ceasefire comes to a close. Over the past weeks, Hamas returned all 33 hostages upon which both sides had agreed, of whom 25 were alive, and eight were returned dead.
After days of intense talks, Israel confirmed on Wednesday evening that an agreement was reached to exchange the bodies of four hostages for some 600 Palestinian prisoners, whose release Israel halted last week, without any more humiliating ceremonies.
“Pursuant to Israel's demands, agreement has been reached with the mediators: Four of our deceased hostages will be returned tonight in the framework of the first stage, in an agreed-upon procedure and without Hamas ceremonies,” the PMO stated.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had ordered the postponement of the release of the prisoners after the cynical ceremony surrounding the release of the bodies of the Bibas family last weekend.
Israel reportedly insisted on an overnight transfer of the bodies to preclude the possibility of Hamas conducting a ceremony during the release.
However, a Hamas official claimed the overnight transfer would be done in order to “prevent the occupation [Israel] from finding any pretext for delay or obstruction.”
Israeli President Isaac Herzog eulogized the four returned hostages, noting that "In this painful moment, there is some solace in knowing that they will be laid to rest in dignity in Israel."
Tsachi Idan "was a loving husband to his courageous wife Gali, and a devoted father to Sharon, Yael, Shachar, and Maayan —a wonderful young girl who was brutally murdered in their home before her family’s eyes by terrorists who barbarically broadcasted the horrific moments of her murder," Herzog said.
The story of the Idan family is among the most horrific, disturbing, and well-known among the many tragedies on Oct. 7. Tsachi Idan was 49 years old and a resident of Kibbutz Nahal Oz.
October 3, 2023
— The Voice Of Truth 🙌 (@thevoicetruth1) September 7, 2024
Two sisters: Maayan (18, right) and Sharon (16, left) Idan, in their last picture of happiness.
Four days later, Hamas terrorists attacked the family's home in Kibbutz Nir Oz.
Their father, Tsahi, tried to block the door to prevent the terrorists from entering.… pic.twitter.com/EtDNVBOZ9H
During the Hamas massacre, terrorists broke into their home. Tsachi and his eldest 18-year-old daughter, Maayan, held the door shut to try to protect the family. However, the terrorists managed to shoot Maayan through the door, and she died in her father’s arms.
The terrorists then held the family at gunpoint for hours and livestreamed the ordeal on Facebook, before kidnapping Tsachi, leaving his family behind. After several months, the family received word that Tsachi had been killed in captivity.
About Itzik Elgarat, Herzog said he "was a devoted father of two and a beloved uncle to his nieces and nephews. He embraced life to the fullest and was especially cherished by the members of Kibbutz Nir Oz, with whom he loved playing backgammon. He was also a passionate soccer fan and a dedicated supporter of Maccabi Tel Aviv."
Itzik Elgarat was 69 years old at the time of his kidnapping. He was in his home in Kibbutz Nir Oz on the morning of Oct. 7 when Hamas terrorists broke into his house, shot and wounded him, before taking him to Gaza.
Held hostage: Itzik Elgarat
— Aviva Klompas (@AvivaKlompas) November 18, 2023
69-year-old Itzik was in his Kibbutz Nir Oz home on October 7 when Hamas terrorists attacked and shot him in the hand.
He called his brother to say: "this is the end, this is the end.” Not long after, Itzik's phone was located in Gaza. There has been… pic.twitter.com/Bk8ZiWluyd
Iraq-born Shlomo Mansour was the oldest Israeli hostage in captivity at 86 years old at the time the terrorists kidnapped him from Kibbutz Kissufim, and was declared dead earlier this month.
Herzog said Mansour "came from a proud Zionist family that immigrated from Iraq. He survived the Farhud Pogrom against the Jews of Baghdad, and came to Israel in his youth. Together with his wife, Mazal, he built a large and loving family, raising five children and 12 grandchildren."
Shlomo Mantzur (bottom right) was born in Baghdad. When he was 3, he survived a massacre. When he was 13, he fled Iraq and tried not to look back. Then came Oct. 7, 2023. https://t.co/QhilFcuLHA pic.twitter.com/s54Z3afbGT
— Matti Friedman (@MattiFriedman) February 25, 2025
His fate as the oldest hostage had garnered significant attention during the war, and his family regularly spoke out at events calling for the release of the hostages. As recently as last month, they allowed one of his unfinished artworks to be displayed as part of a Holocaust Memorial Day exhibit in London.
"A skilled craftsman, his artistic woodwork in the carpentry shop of Kibbutz Kissufim, channeled the beauty of the kibbutz and the western Negev, a region he loved so dearly," Herzog added.
When his death was announced, Kibbutz Kissufim stated, “Shlomo was much more than a community member to us – he was a father, a grandfather, a true friend and the beating heart of Kissufim. His smile, humility, and human warmth were an inspiration to us all. Our hearts are broken that we were unable to bring him back to us alive.”
Herzog also praised Ohad Yahalomi as "a man of the land and a devoted family man, a lover of Israel who dedicated himself to preserving its landscapes through his work with the Israel Nature and Parks Authority."
Dual Israeli-French citizen Ohad Yahalomi (49) was taken by Hamas after being wounded in a gun battle in his house in Kibbutz Nir Oz.
Release Ohad Yahalomi !
— The Voice Of Truth 🙌 (@thevoicetruth1) February 24, 2025
Ohad, the father of Eitan, Yael and their little sister is a hostage in Gaza.
The Yahalomi family was kidnapped in its entirety: the mother Batsheva and the two young daughters were taken on one motorcycle, the son Eitan(12) on another motorcycle.
The… pic.twitter.com/uJtlyceluZ
He had remained outside of the family shelter, where his wife Batsheva, 12-year-old Eitan, 10-year-old Yael and their almost two-year-old toddler were hiding.
After Yahalomi was wounded, his family was kidnapped and he was initially left behind. While Eitan was taken to Gaza, Batsheva and the other two children managed to escape and returned to their home, where they discovered that Yahalomi had been taken as well.
12-year-old Eitan was released during the first hostage deal in Nov. 23. On Wednesday, French President Emmanuel Macron wrote that all his heart was with “the family and loved ones of our compatriot Ohad Yahalomi.”
Herzog closed by saying, "Together with the entire nation, we share in the immense grief and sorrow of the bereaved families and the Kibbutz communities of Nir Oz, Nahal Oz, and Kissufim."
"The return of our brothers’ bodies from captivity underscores our moral obligation to do everything in our power to bring back all the hostages—the living to their loving families, and the fallen to be late to rest. Until the last one is home! They are all humanitarian cases, and they must all be returned."

The All Israel News Staff is a team of journalists in Israel.