All Israel

Victim of March 9 terror attack in Tel Aviv dies in hospital

Or Eshkar succumbs to his wounds 11 days after he was injured in shooting

Or Eshkar (Photo courtesy)

Eleven days after being wounded in a terrorist attack in Tel Aviv, 32-year-old Israeli Or Eshkar died on Monday, succumbing to his injuries.

Eshkar died at Ichilov Hospital at the Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center. 

Ichilov Hospital Director Ronni Gamzu summarized Eshkar’s final days when announcing his death. 

“Unfortunately, the severity of his wounds was deadly. After a heroic struggle of many days, in which we saw an iron man fight for his life, we were forced to declare his death,” Gamzu said.

Eshkar’s mother Natalie also released a public statement.

“A light of rare quality, which showered nothing but goodness, love and giving on everyone who crossed its path, went out today,” she said

She went on to express her gratitude for the outpouring of love she received from all over Israel.

“Thanks on our behalf to all the staff at the Ichilov Hospital, who for days and nights did everything they could with professionalism, dedication and sensitivity. To the dozens of amazing friends who surrounded us day and night, hugged and cried with us during the whole week, that will be engraved in our hearts forever. To all the people of Israel who were with us, strengthened, supported and prayed, each in his own way and according to his faith,” she said.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also honored Eshkar’s memory, posting a photograph of the fallen man on social media. 

“It’s heartbreaking,” Netanyahu wrote. “I extend my condolences to his family and friends. May his memory be a blessing.”

Eshkar and two other Israeli men were injured in the March 9 shooting near Tel Aviv’s Dizengoff shopping center, while on their way to a wedding. 

While Eshkar was critically hurt, 34-year-old Rotem Mansano and 36-year-old Michael Osdon were also shot by the terrorist. Osdon was released from the hospital soon after the attack but Mansano remains hospitalized.

“The terrorist fired, but I was able to move my head and evade the bullet, which hit my cheek,” Osdon told Channel 13 news shortly after the shooting.

“The terrorist fired another bullet at one friend, then the other. He tried to shoot me again, and then I ran to an ice cream store nearby to call rescue services.”

“I was wounded relatively lightly. I am waiting for some cosmetic procedures. Please pray for my friends,” he added.

The shooter, a member of the Palestinian terror group Hamas, was shot and killed by police soon after the terror attack.

The All Israel News Staff is a team of journalists in Israel.

A message from All Israel News
Help us educate Christians on a daily basis about what is happening in Israel & the Middle East and why it matters.
For as little as $5, you can support ALL ISRAEL NEWS, a non-profit media organization that is supported by readers like you.
Current Top Stories