U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin confirmed late on Saturday that the United States, Great Britain and their allies carried out a series of strikes against 13 different targets in Houthi-controlled Yemen on Saturday.
The strikes were designed to diminish the ability of the Houthi rebels to carry out further attacks against vessels traversing the waters of the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.
The strikes were also seen as an additional warning to Iran that its attempts to further inflame the region through its proxies would not go unanswered.
U.S. President Joe Biden blamed Iran for that attack, stating: “We know it was carried out by radical Iran-backed militant groups operating in Syria and Iraq.”
Biden also promised a response to the attacks, adding: "Have no doubt — we will hold all those responsible to account at a time and in a manner our choosing.”
After the strikes on the sites in Syria and Iraq were announced, Austin stated that those were only “the start of our response.”
“The President has directed additional actions to hold the IRGC and affiliated militias accountable for their attacks on U.S. and Coalition Forces. These will unfold at times and places of our choosing.”
Following the joint strikes on Houthi sites, the U.S. military said the military action was a response to “increased Iranian-backed Houthi destabilizing and illegal activities in the region.”
U.S. Forces, Allies Conduct Joint Strikes in Yemen— U.S. Central Command (@CENTCOM) February 3, 2024
As part of ongoing international efforts to respond to increased Iranian-backed Houthi destabilizing and illegal activities in the region, on Feb. 3 at approximately 11:30 p.m. (Sanaa time), U.S. Central Command forces,… pic.twitter.com/hlfLY1QjOd
Early on Sunday morning, the Houthi rebel government promised to retaliate.
The Houthi's official military spokesman, Yahya Saree, claimed that 48 aerial strikes had been registered.
“These attacks will not deter us from our moral, religious, and humanitarian stance in support of the steadfast Palestinian people in the Gaza Strip and will not pass without response and punishment,” he stated.
Shortly before Saree released his statement, U.S. Central Command said that an anti-ship missile belonging to the Houthis was destroyed as it was preparing to launch against ships in the Red Sea.
“This action will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for US Navy vessels and merchant vessels.”
The All Israel News Staff is a team of journalists in Israel.