Despite conflicting reports of ceasefire between Israel, Islamic Jihad, rockets continue this evening
Al Jazeera reports that another Islamic Jihad source said nothing has been agreed upon yet
Despite unconfirmed reports circulating that Israel and the Gaza-based Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) have agreed to a ceasefire at 8 p.m., rocket barrages against Israel intensified early this evening.
Al Jazeera reported that one source told them a ceasefire would begin this evening, but later wrote that another PIJ source said these reports were unconfirmed.
Egypt is mediating talks between Israel and Islamic Jihad.
Nevertheless, rockets continued throughout the day. The Israel Defense Forces said PIJ had fired 780 rockets and mortars in three days as of 4 p.m. on Sunday.
After reaching the outskirts of Jerusalem early Sunday, other long-range rockets were fired at Beersheva. Most of the rockets have been concentrated on Israeli communities surrounding the Gaza Strip.
Tensions began on Monday after Israeli forces arrested senior members of the terror group in Jenin. The IDF targeted and killed other senior leaders in Gaza on Friday and PIJ responded with rocket attacks, which have lasted until today.
Earlier on Sunday afternoon, three mortars fired by PIJ struck the Erez Crossing, damaging the facility between Israel and the Gaza Strip. The IDF manages the crossing through which thousands of Gazans travel to work in Israel on a daily basis. The Erez Crossing is currently closed due to Operation Breaking Dawn, thus preventing further damage.
3 mortar bombs fired from the Gaza Strip hit the "Erez" Crossing. The terminal roof was damaged as a result of the fire, and shrapnel damaged the entrance hall, an area that is used to facilitate the daily passage of thousands of Gazans that work in Israel. pic.twitter.com/AJaqSub5Z4— Ministry of Defense (@Israel_MOD) August 7, 2022
The IDF destroyed 11 PIJ rocket launching positions in Gaza overnight.
Nicole Jansezian was the news editor and senior correspondent for ALL ISRAEL NEWS.